Soon, you’ll be able to vote for the next leader and deputy leader of the Labour Party.
Below is a guide to how and when it will happen. If you have any questions not answered here, get in touch with the Labour Party at the email address at the bottom and they’ll try to get back to you.
1. Each member has one vote to cast for their choice of Leader and another for their choice of Deputy Leader
Unlike previous leadership elections, this election will be held on a one-person-one-vote basis. There are three sets of people who can vote:
1) Labour Party members (Join here)
2) Affiliated supporters — people who’ve signed up as a Labour Party supporter through one of our affiliated organisations or unions (Become an affiliated supporter here)
3) Registered supporters — people who’ve registered that they support the Labour Party by signing up online and paying a one-off minimum fee of £3 (Become a registered supporter here)
2. The nomination process for Leader and Deputy Leader officially starts on 15th May. Nominations close on 15th June (Leader) and 17th June (Deputy Leader).
Anyone that wants to be a candidate for the Leader or Deputy Leader of the Labour party needs to be nominated by 35 MPs.
MPs can nominate their preferred candidates for Leader and Deputy Leader from 9th June — you can track the progress of each candidate on our website where we’ll update the nominations at 12.30pm and 5.30pm each day. Nominations close on 15th June (Leader) and 17th June (Deputy Leader).
There will be more information to come later on how Constituency Labour Parties can make a supporting nomination.
From early June, the names and bios of any MPs putting themselves forward for nomination will be hosted on our website.
3. Candidates to be Leader will be announced on 15th June and candidates for Deputy Leader will be announced on 17th June
We’ll send all members an email on 15th June to let you know who’s in the running to be Leader, and to give as many members as possible the chance to watch the different candidates speak, there will be a hustings in Scotland, Wales, and every region of England — we’ll email you details of your nearest hustings once the dates have been set.
Likewise we’ll send all members an email on 17th June to tell you the candidates for Deputy Leader. Candidates for both positions will be on our website.
4. We must receive your votes by 12.00 pm on Thursday 10th September for them to count
Voting ballots will be sent out on Friday 14th August. You’ll be able to vote by post or online.
5. Our next Leader and Deputy Leader will be announced on 12th September
We’ll announce the results a Special Conference on 12th September, as well as on our website and via email. If you’re interested in attending the Special Conference, we’ll provide full details nearer the time.
Got a question that isn’t answered here?
If you can’t find an answer to your question, email the Labour Party at email@example.com and they’ll try to get back to you.
Join the fight for a fairer Britain.
42,550 people have already joined our party since the election, ready to stand with us to oppose this government and fight for the Labour values of fairness, equality and social justice.
Every new member makes our party stronger. Will you be the next one to join us? It takes just two minutes.