09:00 Sat 23 April 2016 Michael Sadler Building , Beech Grove Terrace, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9DA MAP
Event info Get connected, share skills and join in action for change. A full day of guest speaker panels, workshops hosted by groups from Leeds and further afield, films, art, singing and lots in between for all ages! Get yourself registered now! Summat 2016 is hosted by Leeds for Change in collaboration with SenjaNet and the Economic Justice Project. This event is twinned with Resistance Rising – a War on Want event taking place on the same day in London. You can now download the whole beautiful programme Summat 2016 programme Highlights include: Key speakers
- Dan Glass – award-winning activist, academic, performer and writer who was named as one of Attitude Magazine’s campaigning role models for LGBTQI youth + a Guardian ‘UK youth climate leader’.
- Sheila Menon – filmmaker, environmental campaigner and one of the Heathrow 13 climate activists with Plane Stupid
- Aderonke Apata – human rights activist, feminist and LGBT equality advocate. Winner of Positive Role Model for LGBT National Diversity Award 2014
- Andy Greene – national steering group for Disabled People Against the Cuts and has been part of many campaigns for disability support and against welfare reform
- Jess Bradley – long term campaigner with Action for Trans Health
Something for everyone
- Workshops – covering healthcare, economics, housing, fracking and so much more. There will also be lots to learn with training sessions to help you make the changes you want and our society needs
- Kids activities – a wonderful creative space for the little ‘uns open from 10am – 4.30pm
- Choir workshop – our brilliant choir workshop with Issi is back! Come learn two songs in two hours and perform at the end of the day
Get yourself registered now!
Join the facebook event for exclusive updates and to connect with others on social justice issues and join the conversation on twitter with #Summat2016
Workshops for everyone
We have 25 fantastic workshops hosted by social justice groups in Leeds and further afield.
Leeds CND Workshop: A Crash Course in Nuclear Weapons
led by Dave Webb, Chair of National Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.
•why Trident Replacement threatens to destabilise Corbyn’s leadership, and is a flashpoint for Scottish politics.
•how the push towards disarmament globally is increasingly isolating the west.
•where nuclear weapons convoys travel through communities, how they are tracked by peace activists.
•how actions like ‘Spies for Peace’ in the 60s sparked years of radical protest, which continues today with blockades of nuclear weapons factories.
– West Yorkshire flooding: A tale of two rivers – “If you’re not at the table, you’re on the menu” – Power, campaigns and change with Leeds Citizens – Being the mountains: Solidarity with the Revolution in Rojava – Telling the Truth about Asylum: Changing the Narrative – Economics is for Everyone – Busting the myths about UK debt and austerity
And so much more! Read what we’ve got and start planning your day.
Summat more – 24th April Direct Action Workshop
Because one day just isn’t enough! Once we’ve been fired up for action by Saturday we can head back on Sunday for a whole day workshop on making Beautiful Trouble with Dan Glass. We’ll be learning how to take effective direct action on issues we care about.
If you’re interested check out the facebook event and get yourself registered.
Want to help out?
We’ll need lots of helpful hands on the day, so find out more about what we’re looking for and get in touch at volunteering @leedsforchange.org.uk if you’d like to volunteer.
What happened last time?
This event follows on from three Leeds Summat(s), in 2009, 2011 and 2014. A total of 2700 people have been to a Leeds Summat over the past 6 years. Yikes!
You can see the 2014 programme online and check out some photos of the day.
Ready to go? Now you just need to register for your free ticket.